Frequently Asked Questions

1. I would like to get married at St John's Cathedral, how do I go about this?

Details of our Wedding Guidelines are available here.

2. I want to learn about Christianity, what groups can I join?

The Cathedral and Daughter Churches run various groups.
Faith Begins is a two-part course that serves as an introduction to Christianity.
EfM is a four-year course for a more in-depth study of Christianity.
The Cathedral also runs a weekly Bible Reading Group and other discussion groups. For more information please contact the clergy.

3. I would like to join St John's Cathedral, what do I need to do?

The way to become a member of St John's is to start coming regularly to the services and joining in the fellowship. During the year people are invited to join our electoral roll. Being on the electoral roll allows you to vote or stand for Cathedral Council.

4. What time are services?

Service times are available here.

5. I am interested in baptism. Who should I speak to?

For baptism of infants or children please contact the Revd Sharon Langbis at St John's, or the priest in charge of the daughter church. For adult baptism or confirmation, please consider enrolling in the 'Faith Begins' course. Services of adult baptism and confirmation are held once a year.

6. How can I give money to the Cathedral? (Emailed by someone who attended St John's for many years, has now returned to the US and remembers the Cathedral with fondness)

You can always just mail a cheque to the main address of the Cathedral Office. However, Hong Kong being the financial wonder that it is, you can also transfer money directly to the cathedral's bank account.

Details for overseas telegraph transfer are as follows:

Beneficiary Name: St John’s Cathedral
Beneficiary Address: 4-8 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong
Beneficiary Bank Name: The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd
Beneficiary Bank Address: 1 Queen’s Road, Central, Hong Kong
Account No: 004-002-245348-001

Please state ‘General Donation’ in the message of purpose of payment.

Another option for US citizens is to make contributions to the Episcopal Church in the USA, and have them forward the money to St John's and your contribution is then deductible on your US taxes. Please email us if you are interested in doing this.

If you have further questions, please send an email to and we will do our best to reply.

If you have recently joined the Cathedral congregation, or changed your residential/email address or telephone number, please let us know by sending an email to

Wherever possible, St John's will use email to communicate with members of the congregation, saving both money and paper. However, if you would prefer to be contacted by post, just let us know.